My mom flew to Florida to see my brother and his family. She came back tonight. She is a mom that wants no cell phone, calls a URL a number, doesn't trust online billing, argues with telemarketers about accounts she doesn't have in order for them to admit they are trying to obtain her financial information.
She had called me the week before, and said she was going to Florida. She told me she would go to the airport the day of, and go to the counter, and order a ticket with cash. I was stunned. I calmly explained to her that she would have no idea when the flight took off, arrived, was fully booked, was delayed, etc. She seemed to care slightly. I looked up her flight days, prices, etc. while we talked. I found a telephone number she could call and told her, YES she would have to use one of her credit cards before the end of that call.
She had a lovely conversation with the saleswoman at JetBlue, told her all about her son in Florida, and the grandkids, used her credit card, heard about the coffee and snacks, snagged a window seat, and got an explanation about how she would not get a boarding pass through the mail.
Tonight, she had to search for a working pay phone in the airport, call me only, and tell me that her plane was delayed 2 hours, and I should pick her up at a later arrival time. Again, I got on the laptop, searched JetBlue and told her the delay information, and the reason for delay, (our weather here in NJ). She seemed fascinated, but tried not to reveal that to me; that would be admitting that technology or me "on my lil laptop computer thingie" was convenient. She would also have to admit that a cell phone would really come in handy in situations like delayed flights. sigh.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment